Best Macro Lenses 2013: Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sigma, Sony, Pentax
|October 1, 2012||Posted by admin under Camera Lenses|
If you want excellent image quality and very high magnification of small subjects, you’re a candidate for a true macro lens. Unlike macro-designated zooms, all of the following can provide magnification as high as 1x (also called 1:1 or life-size). Naturally, they can also focus to infinity, making them a fine choice for portraits, for example.
Typically, macro lenses are among the best performers in the affordable prime lens category in most brands. Many such lenses are available but I’ll cover the latest or the most highly rated models.
Canon EF 100 MM F/2.8L Macro IS USM
Everything you might expect, IS behaves well
This rugged, well-sealed pro-grade lens with two UD glass elements and ultrasonic AF is ideal for nature photography and produces very fine image quality even at f/2.8. Features include a new Hybrid IS system that can compensate for more types of camera shake, a circular-diaphragm aperture and a three-position focus-limiter switch.
Compatibility: All EOS SLRS, Min. Focus: 0.3 M, Dimensions/Weight: 78 X 123 MM, 625 G, 67-MM filter
- 100mm macro USM lens with f/2.8 maximum aperture for Canon SLR cameras
- Secondary diaphragm blocks stray light at f/2.8 for increased contrast
- Ultra-sonic monitor provides outstanding autofocusing speed at all distances
- 3-group floating system for exceptional close-up performance; full-time manual focus
- Measures 3.1 inches in diameter and 4.7 inches long; weighs 21.1 ounces
All DSLR systems offer a dizzying selection of lenses for their cameras.
Nikon AF-S 40 MM F/2.8G DX Micro
Affordable all-purpose prime Micro Nikkor lens
This brand new 60-mm equivalent compact, affordable lens is a bit short for nature photography but fine for other purposes. Its close-range correction system provides razor-sharp focus at all distances. Features include a wide maximum aperture and a circular diaphragm at most apertures plus an M/A mode for manual focus touch-ups when using autofocus.
Compatibility: Small sensor Nikon DSLRs, Min. Focus: 0.163 M, Dimensions/Weight: 68.5 X 65.4 MM, 280 G, 52-MM filter, 1X Max. Magnification
- Compact and lightweight DX-format close-up lens
- Sharp images from infinity to life-size (1X)
- Autofocus to 6.4 inches
- Close-Range Correction System (CRC)
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
Nikon AF-S DX Micro 85 MM F/3.5 ED VR
One of the best lenses for Nikon
This rugged, compact lens with fast Silent Wave AF and one ED glass element is equipped with the latest VR II system. At 85 mm (a 127.5 mm equivalent), it’s very useful for longer than average, making it ideal for nature photography, and it provides very sharp images especially at f/5.6 to f/11.
Compatibility: Small sensor Nikon DSLRs, Min. Focus: 0.286 M, Dimensions/Weight: 82 X 87 MM, 575 G, 52-MM filter, 1X Max. Magnification
- 85mm lens ideal for close-up, nature, portrait and general photography
- Close focusing to 0.9 feet
- Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) element; Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC)
- Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
Olympus Zuiko 50 MM F/2 Macro
Quite Possibly the Best Medium Telephoto Macro Lens
This compact lens features an unusually wide aperture, useful for more effective focusing in low light or for very shallow depth of field. Although there’s only one ED element, it provides great image quality at all focused distances, especially at f/4 and smaller apertures.
Compatibility: All Olympus DSLRs, Min. Focus: 0.24 M, Dimensions/Weight: 62 X 71 MM, 300 G, 52-MM filter, 1X Max. Magnification
- Specially treated to shed water droplets, and engineered to withstand the rigorous demands of professional use
- Designed to capitalize on the design advantages of the OLYMPUS Four Thirds System
- Large f/2.0 aperture, with minimum weight and bulk
- 50mm range – equivalent to 100mm in conventional 35mm photography
- For use with the OLYMPUS E-1 and other Four Thirds Series Digital SLR Cameras, as specified
Pentax-D FA Macro 100 MM F/2.8 D FA WR
Sharp, Quiet Macro Lens
This lens is quite compact but rugged with a high-grade aluminum barrel and simplified Weather-Resistance. The Quick-Shift focus system offers great convenience in switching between AF and manual focus. While this lens is not equipped with high-tech optical elements, it’s a fine performer particularly in the f/4 to f/11 range.
Compatibility: Pentax SLRs, Min. Focus: 0.13 M, Dimensions/Weight: 65 X 80 MM, 340 G, 49-MM filter, 1X Max. Magnification
- WR Weather Resistant design is ideal for use on popular PENTAX weather resistant DSLR bodies.
- Macro lens features a full 1:1 image magnification ratio (1X, Life Size).
- D FA series lens features a “full frame” design, compatible with PENTAX film and digital SLR cameras, but optically optimized for digital imaging.
- Rounded aperture blades improve bokeh at wide apertures for silky smooth background de-emphasis.
- PENTAX SP (Super Protect) coating on front lens element helps repel dust, water, and grease, while minimizing fingerprints.
Sigma APO Macro 150 MM F/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Great bird lens especially for Nikon!
Much longer than average to satisfy nature photographers, this new lens with fast ultrasonic HSM AF minimizes the need to get too close to a skittish subject. Improved aspects include a built-in image stabilizer and a splash-proof design. The three SLD elements, plus floating-focus design combine to provide superb image quality particularly in the f/4 to f/11 range.
Compatibility: All SLRs, Min. Focus: 0.13 M, Dimensions/Weight: 65 X 80 MM, 340 G, 49-MM filter, 1X Max. Magnification
- Macro Lens With 1:1 Magnification
- Focuses to 15″
- Optical Image Stabilization
- Hyper-Sonic Motor for Fast, Quiet AF
- 3 SLD Elements Correct Aberrations
- Splash-Proof Construction Protects Lens
Sigma Macro 70 MM F/2.8 EX DG
Fabulous and versatile lens
Roughly a 105-mm (or similar) equivalent on small-sensor DSLRs, this multi-platform macro lens with conventional AF is particularly desirable for nature photography when used with such cameras. The optical formula includes one SLD plus two high refractive index SLD elements and a floating focus system. This lens provides high sharpness at all focused distances from f/2.8 to f/16, impressive performance.
Compatibility: All Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Sigma SLRs, Min. Focus: 0.257 M, Dimensions/Weight: 76 X 95 MM, 525 G, 62-MM filter, 1X Max. Magnification
- Special Low Dispersion (SLD) lens and two high refractive index SLD lenses provide excellent correction for all types of aberrations
- Super multi-layer lens coating reduces flare and ghosting
- Floating focus system provides extremely high optical performance from infinity to 1:1 Macro
- Equivalent field of view to 105mm macro lens when used on a digital SLR camera with an APS-C size image sensor
Sony DT 30 MM F/2.8 Macro SAM
A High Quality And Affordable Macro Lens
This compact (45-mm equivalent) lens, with moderately fast Smooth Autofocus Motor, is lightweight and affordable. It features a wide maximum aperture, making manual focus in low light convenient and making it easy to produce very shallow depth of field. In spite of the moderate price, expect very good image quality especially in the f/2.8 to f/11 range.
Compatibility: Small sensor Sony and Maxxum DSLRs, Min. Focus: 0.13 M, Dimensions/Weight: N/A, 150 G, 55-MM filter, 1X Max. Magnification
- Small size, light weight, Macro Lens
- Sony alpha mount for APS-C size DSLR
- DT 30mm f/2.8 SAM
- Smooth & silent AF operation with built-in Motor (SAM)
- 35mm focal length equivalant; 45mm
- best macro lens for aony
- best macro lens in 2013